Saturday, June 15, 2019

Day 2....ish

Disclaimer: I'm writing these the day after they happen. I'm a bit afraid that, with most of you being in the US, I will break the space-time continuum if I post something that happens before that time even exists in your time zone. You're welcome. 

You might remember that, for Day 1, we were up for over 30 hours. Two flights, one layover, three airports, and almost 6 hours of driving after we landed. We were pooped, and did not get to bed until after midnight.  

Our plan for Day 2 was to drive Iceland's Golden Circle:

Image result for the golden circle iceland
The Golden Circle. I spent quite some time trying to make a circle out of this....it's more like a Golden Triangle (at best)

But, the best laid plans of mice and people* often go awry. With Sherri not feeling 100%, we all snoozed our various alarms, and when we woke up later, I thought, "maybe we'll do the Golden Half Circle."  

A bit later, I convinced myself that we could likely pull off the Golden Quarter Circle.  At one point, it became The Golden Arc, where Arc < 20°.   

Finally, we just decided to bail on our plans for the Golden Circle and hit a local restaurant. There isn't much in Keflavik, the town we were staying in, so we went on a quest for what I called "The Olsen Twins" restaurant.  

Image result for olsen olsen keflavik
The Olsen Twins Restaurant. Not endorsed (and rightfully so) by the Olsen Twins. At least, I assume.

It was 'meh'.  Disappointed by lunch/dinner and our overall lack of progress on the day, we wondered what could possibly go wrong if we went here:

Hmmmm.......ok, let's go!

Now, this might not be the best looking place from the outside, but it is truly a hidden gem in Iceland. The owner and her mother were amazingly hospitable, and we enjoyed ourselves immensely here. The girls loved the vibe ("I'd love to just sit here and do homework!") and the desserts and coffee are fantastic. I highly recommend that you make a stop here if you are ever in Iceland. It's not far from the airport, so you can stop in after you land or before you take off. There are pool tables and they serve beer, mixed drinks, a small selection of desserts, and awesome coffee.

Yum!

Low cal!

Love to see these smiles!

Although we didn't stick to our plans, we know we have a very full sabbatical ahead of us. Off to London (very, very) early tomorrow!


*my literary adaptation, without permission from Robert Burns


No comments:

Post a Comment